Yup. It’s not a typo.
This blog post is advocating the use of Botox to help manage the signs and symptoms of stress. Now, don’t get me wrong. Eliminating sources of stress from our lives by making lifestyle changes is the best thing you can do. The message that I want to convey though is that certain effects of stress can be reduced by Botox as a therapeutic agent.
The general sentiment when hearing about botox is that it is a vanity or cosmetic treatment. The media often further confuses fillers with Botox or suggest it will deaden all facial expressions. Botox interrupts the signal for muscle contraction. Reducing wrinkles, smoothing skin and making the user look younger. I won’t deny that that is what it can do, but I see that as a added benefit.
Here are some of the indications that I use botox for in my clinic that you might not have thought about.
Harmony Dental Studio
- Migraines – They rob whole days from us. If you have migraines you know aura, vertigo, nausea, light and sound sensitivity with the pain and I don’t need to tell you how not having migraines is everything. Botox is not a cure, but it able to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines.
- Bruxism – Nighttime tooth grinding can be reduced by relaxing those super strong jaw muscles. Clenching and grinding at night increases headache and neck tension but also wears and breaks teeth.
- Tension – Sustained tension in neck and facial muscles is reduced with Botox. Typical for jobs heavy in computer use or commuters. Do you have a happy, rested tension free face, neck and shoulders while looking at your computer, tablet or phone right now? This is my point.
- Fatigue – Noticing a theme here? Since Botox does one thing really (prevents muscles from contracting) the effect is relaxation. More rest and relaxation of muscles, even small facial ones makes us feel more rejuvenated.
- Gummy smile– Ok, so this last one is more of an aesthetic issue, however, people whose upper lip jumps up when they smile hesitate when they smile and laugh or cover their face. We all deserve to freely express joy and happiness, the best of life’s moments as they come.